Thanks so much, Athenna and Steph, for letting me hang out with you and your readers this lovely Halloween month. To celebrate the upcoming release of the fifth Maker’s Song book, On Midnight Wings, I thought a few dating guidelines for vampires might be fun. Actually, it’s two sets of guidelines—one set for the vampire (nightkind) and one set for the mortal who dates them.
Dating can be awkward at best, but going out with nightkind offers whole new kinds of awkward moments—from the first date to the ones that (hopefully) follow when you really start getting to know each other. Here’s a quick guide to avoid blunders and faux pas while dating that sexy bit of nightkind.
Dating Tips for Mortals:
1. Don’t make any daytime plans. Unless your date happens to sparkle in sunshine or has a special ring/potion/enchanted sunglasses or whatever, figure that all activity will be taking place after sunset. Any dates before sunset might require a fire extinguisher. They are called nightkind for a reason.
2. Be very sparing with perfume, cologne, and scented soaps. A vampire’s nose is sensitive and you could easily block your own natural scent, the sexy fragrance that is all you. You know the date is on the wrong foot when he/she is fanning a hand in front of their face, eyes tearing, and you’re still three feet away.
3. When other people stare at your date or cast lustful and lingering looks at him or her, don’t engage in possessive or jealous behavior. Nightkind tend to be beautiful and alluring (all the better to entice a quick meal into striking range), so you should expect this kind of attention and overlook it with grace. After all, you are the one going out with this beautiful creature. Those staring are not. (Though they might eventually become meals.)
4. And speaking of meals, if dining out, be aware that you will need to choose the restaurant since your nightkind date’s appetite doesn’t include regular food and they tend to poor judges of which restaurants offer excellent fare and those that don’t—just as you wouldn’t know whose veins held a rare and delicious vintage as opposed to the vascular version of ghetto wine.
5. When being intimate with your nightkind date, you can expect intense passion, biting, growling, some drinking of your blood (feel free to bite back), and your date will be able to perform with breath-stealing intensity all night. One caveat: make sure you have finished before dawn. If not, you run the risk of Sleep claiming your nightkind partner in the middle of even the most intimate of actions.
Please feel free to post a comment about your own vampire/nightkind dating advice.
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Pocket After Dark
We will be picking 3 winners for Adrian's giveaway. 1 winner will receive the first 4 books in her Maker's Song series (A Rush of Wings, In the Blood, Beneath the Skin and Etched in Bone) signed. 2 more winners will be chosen and they each will get to pick any one of Adrian's books. Open internationally. Read event rules and guidelines before entering.
a Rafflecopter giveaway